Shocking Palliser Convention Speaker: Who is teaching Alberta teachers?
An important aspect of achieving excellence in education is to ensure that those providing support to students and staff in Alberta demonstrate the highest standards of expertise and professionalism. …
Posted by on February 20, 2018
Parents for Choice in Education (PCE) advocates for excellence in education through maximum parental choice.
An important aspect of achieving excellence in education is to ensure that those providing support to students and staff in Alberta demonstrate the highest standards of expertise and professionalism.
Thanks to several PCE supporters, we were made aware that Dr. Kristopher Wells from the Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services (iSMSS) is listed as one of the keynote speakers at the Palliser Teacher’s Convention on Thursday February 22, 2018.
As a result, PCE sent a letter to the superintendent, trustees and principals of Palliser School Division to express serious concerns regarding this choice. The letter is included below.
**UPDATE (Feb 20, 10:20 p.m.): We have just become aware that this Teacher's Convention extends to teachers and schools in many more areas outside of Palliser Regional School Division including:
Canadian Rockies, Chinook, Chinook’s Edge (some schools), Foothills, Livingstone Range (AB Daly School only), Prairieland, Rocky View and Three Drums of Wheat (Golden Hills School Division).
Also, we have been informed that only the northern section of Palliser Regional School Division is part of this convention.
For anyone who shares these concerns, feel free to use the letter below as part of your own communications to the school district you are part of.
Parents of children attending schools in any of these areas could voice concerns directly to the teacher(s) and principal of your school (see map if you're not sure which school division you are part of).
Residents of this area who do not have children in school can contact your elected school board trustee.
If you live elsewhere in the province, but know a family that attends a school in one of the districts listed,please forward this message to make them aware.
Message sent to Palliser Regional School Division on February 19, 2018
To Whom it May Concern:
We are sending this message to the superintendent, trustees and principals of Palliser Regional School Division to express serious concerns regarding one of the keynote speakers invited to the Palliser Teacher’s Convention on Thursday February 22nd.
Parents for Choice in Education, as an Alberta-based advocacy organization, represents parents and citizens across the province, including many within Palliser Regional School Division.
Based on Palliser’s stated commitment to establish and maintain “a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning and teaching environment for all members of the school community”, it is essential that the highest standards of professional public conduct are upheld by organizations and individuals who provide support and resources to the students and staff within Palliser School District.
One of the keynote speakers listed for the Palliser District Teacher’s Convention on February 22nd is Dr. Kristopher Wells, Faculty Director for the University of Alberta’s Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services (iSMSS).
We encourage you to review examples of the public conduct demonstrated by iSMSS and its directors*:
Social media sharing of highly sexualized and discriminatory content:
- advertisement featuring naked youth/young adults in sexual contexts
- divisive and inappropriate cartoon comparing Christians to Nazis
- derogatory cartoon of explicit sexual references
- re-tweet of an article that describes, and appears to condone, sexual activity in public spaces
Unprofessional contemptuous public behavior toward parents
- posting letters received from concerned parents to social media, inviting friends to mock parents
- media quote comparing thousands of concerned parents and teachers at a peaceful rally with a violent shooting in the United States
Providing & legitimizing use of sexually graphic material for audiences of children/youth
- provision of “community support” links for K-12 students which directed unsuspecting children to sexually graphic material including videos of naked adults participating in sexual acts, ads for sex toys, highly descriptive oral sex techniques and advice to “pay for porn” and “visit a group masturbation site at your local sex club.”
- legitimizing the use of the Sex A – Z cards with youth, including content such as F is for Felching (“the act of sucking semen from your partner’s butt”) or G is for Glory Hole (“A hole in a wall intended to have anonymous sex through often in washrooms, bars or bathhouses.”)
We fully support teachers receiving the appropriate professional training they require to meet the diverse needs of children in schools and urge Palliser School District leadership and staff to uphold their commitment to a welcoming, caring, safe and respectful learning environment by ensuring that anyone entrusted to provide support to staff and students exemplifies only the highest professional standards of public conduct.
Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
Donna Trimble, PCE Executive Director
Theresa Ng, B.Ed, PCE Communications Advisor
*complete visual evidence is available at:http://www.parentchoice.ca/school_district_professional_standards (WARNING: viewer discretion is advised)